Ok wow, it's been a hot minute. I was making good progress and then Covid-19 hit and suddenly I had other stuff that "needed" doing (like a miniature toilet).
I've recently picked this back up again, so for my own peace of mind, let's review what's been happening and what there is to do:
- Be an ally and read, donate, and amplify black voices. Resources at ally.wiki
- Data storage: The Psychic ePaper now has the ability to save all the changes that get applied to it when connected to a phone/tablet/computer via Bluetooth LE. When you regenerate the Doctor, send the save command, and power cycle the Psychic, your newly regenerated Time Lord will still be there. Cool.
- UART messages >20 bytes: For some reason when using the Adafruit BLE connect app + CircuitPython, messages > 20 bytes won't be received/sent. This is a bit of an issue if I want to send long messages to the psychic. Fortunately it's recently been made an issue in the CircuitPython BLE library, so we'll see what happens!
- Wear a mask and practice physical distancing > 2 m/6 ft.
- Memory Issues: I've been flying close to the sun when it comes to RAM and having enough of it. An update of CircuitPython had me quickly plummeting to the ground with Memory Allocation issues.
For last few days I've been playing with @kmatch98's CircuitPython_textMap library, which "attempts to overcome the large memory usage of the current 'label' function in the CircuitPython Display_Text library". So far so good! I'm still getting to grips with it, but I've got 39 kb more memory than I had with the CircuitPython Display Text library. Rewriting the code to work with textMap has also been very refreshing.
- Version 2: I should really get on that again! SMD Soldering 0.5 mm pitch pins is difficult!