How to use
The lamp has 2 modes; Alexa (default) and standalone.
To change the mode:
- Turn off the 240v supply to the lamp
- Hold the rotary encoder push switch down
- Turn on 240v supply
- Wait until the lamp starts to slowly flash
- Release the push switch
- The number of flashes seen will tell you which mode the lamp is in. 1 flash indicates standalone and 2 flashes for Alexa voice controlled mode.
Alexa mode (default)
- When the lamp is turned on for the first time it will create an unsecured wifi hotspot called Lamp
- You can use your phone to connect to the hotspot and enter your wifi network credentials
- Once your credentials are verified, the hotspot will disappear and your wifi settings will be stored on the device
- The lamp will now connect to your network and you will be able to control the lamp using the rotary encoder
- Say "Alexa, discover devices" or go to the Alexa app and hit "Add Device", "Other", "Discover devices"
- Your lamp is now ready!
If you turn on the 240v supply to the lamp and it cannot connect to a network using its stored settings, it will create a new hotspot and wait for new credentials. While it is in this state the rotary encoder will not work until the new wifi credentials are entered but tou can still change the lamp's mode using the method described above.
- This mode does not connect to any wifi networks or create any hotspots
- Plain old lamp
- Rotary encoder works straight away
Alexa voice controls
Once setup, you can use different ways to invoke Alexa to modify the lamp's state:
- Alexa, turn lamp on
- Alexa, turn on lamp
- Alexa, set lamp to fifty (50 means 50% of brightness)
- Alexa, set lamp to one hundred (100% brightness)