Close

Cardboard mess

A project log for 3D-Printed spectroscope

A spectroscope that just works, good enough to tell good from bad lights for growing plants

Ivan StepaniukIvan Stepaniuk 04/01/2020 at 19:010 Comments


The cardboard prototype helped eliminating some uncertainty.


It worked better than expected and I got some very promising spectra. I used my mobile phone as camera, and two known laser sources to trim/calibrate the resulting spectra image. I did all that using just Gimp and a spreadsheet. The sensitivity of the sensor is not known so it can't be compensated, but as a proof of concept, it worked.

First spectra with the cardboard prototype
In pink, a 532 nm green laser, in yellow a 650 nm red laser. The blue plot is some random white LED source.

Discussions