This program (sum of projects) is about designing and building a BIG custom remote controlled tank, from scratch.
It will be about 350KG (700lbs) ; 1.5m (5ft) long ; 0.6m (2ft) high and 1m (3ft) wide, which corresponds to a 1/5th scaled Main Battle Tank (MBT).
It won't be a scaled model of an existing tank, but a fully custom design, even though it will look like the Italian ARIETE C1 MBT.
It will be able to shoot both paintball pellets and airsoft pellets. It may be equipped with additional functions in the future (Rocketry ? Smoke screen ? Who knows...)
This project is still in development, and will take years to achieve since all the mechanics, electronics, and programming will be made from scratch.
There is no specific purpose other than having fun !
I wanted to use an IC engine as main power source from the very begining.
I chose a 196cc 4 800W (6.5hp) 4 stroke engine. It includes both manual and electric start. The engine is equipped with a centrifugal clutch, which simplifies my work a lot. It is a "LIFAN 168F-2D-B" engine.
Since I didnt really learn electronics at school, I expectef the radio to be quite difficult to build. but it turned out easier than I thought, it's just a basic button box, with an Adruino, a screen, a 2.4GHz module and a battery of course. The box is 3D printed (SLA) and the pannel is made out of wod, laser cut.
Building the frame wasn't that hard, but much, much longer than I expected. I had to drill several hundreds of holes. I also had to be very patient and very cautious with positioning and maintaining the profils while welding. Since I am no professional welder, I had to improve some weldings after the polishing step revealed weaknesses. The most difficult part was to cut and weld the angled profiles properly.
And it was a bad idea :
Here we see the plate's nut inside the frame's hole
welding of the screws for engine mounts
Still got a lot of work...
These front sections were very long to cut and assemble, because of the tricky angles
Then i welded the left and right wings + turret mounting + rear section :
After a few improvements on the fly, the frame is now complete. I then added a rust protection coating on every single surfaces. Just like real tanks, this one will have a long, and rough life. Let's protect it from the start.
The gearbox design has been quite a challenge : I have a lot of mechanical power to transmit (4.8kW) with a high speed on one side and high torque on the other. Not to mention that the gearbox had to be as compact as possible to fit in the tank. I used roller chains instead of gears to make it easier to assemble run and maintain, as is it my first gearbox project.