I love robotics and look forward to creating more public service robots like grounds keeping and security robots, that being said they benefit heavily from a high speed internet connection with unlimited bandwidth. Telemetry, GPS tracking and video recording are all essential aspects of robots in public or robots that operate without up close supervision like a rover. Cellular speeds have been on the decline and there are no high speed unlimited hot spot plans that will fit the bill. I really needed a way to get fast network connections ( and possible open internet connections) to a robot far away and avoid obstructions to check on projects and download data. Small budget groups that need to get a high speed internet connection anywhere outdoors ( or indoors with a little more wiring) can benefit from a cheap, modular, swappable payload, instant antenna mast system.
In comes Sky Anchor, this allows myself and anyone else who duplicates this project to have a rapid deployment sky born communications for both Software Defines Radio, wide area wifi ( below the drone) and the ability to target a robot or AP off in the distance and lock onto that direction and angle and adjust if the AP is moving. This is where the smart part of the drone is important using machine vision and Software defines radio to track projects or locations that need a solid internet connection to transfer data.
This Projects Mission is to Provide an OPEN BUILD, 3D Printed parts, using OPEN Hardware and Open and /or free software for the maximum repeatability. Sky Anchor empowers amateurs to have an instant sky platform for instant long distance communications.
1. Ground Facing Machine Vision Tracking to compensate for GPS drift. On the Ground there is a beacon the camera tracks, giving the computer info to adjust position relative to the ground.
2. Downward Facing LIDAR to measure altitude from ground level beacon, to hold height
3. Camera and Antenna Gimbals Locking system, Machine vision sees a light in the distance and locks the antenna angle on that long range target. This keeps alignment in the event of heavy wind.
4. X6 Hex arrangement, Custom 3D Printed arms and mounts to double up the motors and props on each arm. This gives Sky Anchor 12 props and 12 motors for exceptional lift and control authority in heavier winds
5. RGB light ring around the Drone, not only is this for visibility ,but someone who needs to align their antenna towards Sky Anchor can easily see it in a "North Star" approach.
6. 110-240v power tether from ground to the drone
7. Cat5 shielded cable from ground to drone.
Basic Equipment List, needed for the project:
1. Ultralight 500 watt AC to DC power converter 187.87
2. Transmitter and Receiver 6 channel TBD
3. Backup battery 3S $40
4. 110-220v wire tether 200 foot TBD
5. Shielded Ethernet 200 foot TBD
6. 5G Long Range Antenna $60 TBD
7. Pix Hawk $90
8. GPS antenna $40
9. Rasberry Pi 4 x2 ( have it)
10. Rapsbrry Pi Camera x 2 (have it)
11. 3D Printed custom Mounts and Dual Motor Arms
12. RGB strips controlled by Raspberry PI
This is not comprehensive, but is a basic list to buy.
A. Is the project creative, original, functional, and pushing boundaries?
B. Does the project effectively address the selected challenge?
Field Ready > A. YES! B.no not specific to the open challenge example , however having rapid deployment internet and radio communications where cellular signal is either poor or cell network is not suitable for high speed communications between base camps / facilities. This is particularly useful for private use and disaster response.
Conservation X Labs> A.YES! B.YES! Using additional downward facing cameras and polarizing lenses to see below the surface, conservation...Read more »