Hey all, it's been a while since there was a new Project Log. I've been fiddling around with the Holotape Module to see if I can get the OLEDs to work.
The good news:
- The OLEDs are a perfect fit for the module.
- I can drive them easily from the Artemis Nano.
- I got the clock to use the Artemis Nano's RTC module!
The bad news:
- These OLEDS have a fixed I2C address so I can't daisy chain them without having to put a I2C multiplexer in between them (which doesn't fit anywhere). Plan B is to just use different SDA and SCL pins on the Artemis Nano for the screens and see how that goes. I do wish to keep it as modular as possible, so perhaps do a break-out plug in between... not sure.
- One OLED screen doesn't cover all the holes. One screen can cover the whole "date", but no screen fits between the first one and the gap for the "time" hole:
- 2 OLEDs pushed together gives a gap in the middle of the "year" hole. I might be able to alleviate this with some dark tinted transparent plastic in front of the holes. The light will shine through regardless.
- I got to wait on some new OLED screens as I kinda destroyed a couple trying to fit them in, and soldering wires to them. I learned from that mistake and bought some Grove and JST connector kits to make sure I just wire connectors tot those pins. However, the pins are not 1:1 compliant with the Qwiic or Grove standard, so I've got some rewiring of plugs to do.
Lastly, the main reason for the title, is that I've found the perfect drop-in replacement for the top red button on the Pip-Boy: