The goal of the the thermal test plan is to evaluate the thermal performance of the existing two hot plate and new "tube" heat transfer prototypes against the OpenFluidWarmer design requirements.
Heater Set Point Test
Determine heater set point required to achieve 38°C outlet temperature at the following conditions (max allowable heater set point of 100°C):
- 4°C inlet temperature, 20ml/min
- 20°C inlet temperature, 20ml/min
Flow Rate Test
Determine the maximum possible flow rate that keeps outlet temperature above 20°C at the the following conditions:
- 100°C heater set point, 4°C inlet temperature
- 42°C heater set point, 4°C inlet temperature
- 4°C is the storage temperature of some blood products
- 20°C is assumed room temperature
- 38°C is assumed human body temperature
- 42°C is the assumed lowest temperature at which hemolysis begins to occur
- 100°C is near the maximum allowable temperature of the prototype insulating materials
- 20ml/min is the lowest "fast" flow rate determined by Field Ready's previous "Low-cost Fluid Warmer" project
Test results will be posted later this week.