Close

New Feature: ISO Adjustment

A project log for Raspberry Camcorder and Video Editing Station

Creating an all in one portable video production set up.

DustinDustin 11/30/2020 at 04:070 Comments

Fter getting overwhelmed with the user interface(I underestimated that task), I decided to go for an easy win to keeo me going. Changing the ISO settings seemed simple enough. Unlike most things that seem simple enough, this task actually was. I got all the ISO settings I think I need working, and ready to use. The code is crude right now, with everything under if statements in a while loop, but I could take this camera out and use it right now if needed. That's the entire point, so I call that a win. I'll eventually go back and clean up all this code and make functions. For now, I'll just enjoy my nea feature. 

Here are the if statements I added:

        if keyboard.is_pressed("0"):
            camera.iso = 0    
        
        if keyboard.is_pressed("1"):
            camera.iso = 100
            
        if keyboard.is_pressed("2"):
            camera.iso = 200
        
        if keyboard.is_pressed("3"):
            camera.iso = 300
        
        if keyboard.is_pressed("4"):
            camera.iso = 400
            
        if keyboard.is_pressed("5"):
            camera.iso = 500
            
        if keyboard.is_pressed("6"):
            camera.iso = 600
            
        if keyboard.is_pressed("7"):
            camera.iso = 700
            
        if keyboard.is_pressed("8"):
            camera.iso = 800

Some of those settings don't seem to do much, but I'll test again later and remove any that are dead weight. I have to see if the keyboard driver I'm using supports key combinations. Otherwise, I'll be limited to a standard keyboard character set. I suspect I could even use Python code to look for key combinations and trigger extra events. I don't really feel too bad about using up almost all of the number keys in my code. 

I found that I get far better low light results using an SIO of 800, set manually, than I do using the auto mode. I'm glad I added this feature and discovered that, as low light performance seemed horrible. Just goes to show how disappointing the most basic implementation of this camera would be. I imagine there are plenty of people out there who want to make use of the HQ Camera Module, and just don't have the technical skills and programming abilities to do so. Hopefully my work here will help someone someday. I coudn't find anything similar to what I'm doing, so I have to do this all myself. I'm ok with that. I get to learn this at a much deeper level than I might have otherwise.

Next up: White balance

Discussions