As winter started to show by shortening the amount of light coming though my windows, i realized that I was missing a crucial element on my work from home desk : a lamp !
I had a quick look on what was commercially available but nothing caught my attention...
So let's start an overly ambitious project instead and use that as a pretext to start some digital fabrication!
- learn how to use a CNC
- make a lamp
- have it look great with a tentacle-like arm
- make a cool start up animation
- be able to tune the light color to fit the time of the day
- motorize the tentacle with stepper motors
- have a through wood capacitive touchscreen to control those features
Very nice project. I wonder if trying to add an stepper motor is holding the project back. Instead of fighting friction the better option might be using it. If the lamp keeps its shape while still being adjustable by hand may be even better. Adding a motor won't make the lamp easier to adjust than just moving the lamp head around. This will also solve you issue with the spine not bending at the right position. May be adding a bit more friction at some strategic points may be necessary to keep the shape on the full length.