The motherboards were in good working order as were the screens, so I started to disassemble one. Once all the parts were removed, I connected a USB keyboard and powered it up. Everything worked so I set about designing a new housing to hold all of the bits.
There were a few things I wanted to achieve with this design.
1. Attached USB keyboard and mouse - cheap to replace if they get broken and fixed to the computer so they can't go missing.
2. Attached internal power supply unit - so It can't go missing and less chance of breaking.
3. Restricted access to the computer ports and switches - The students tend to fiddle with everything on the computers especially the WiFi switch, and plug things in where they're not supposed to be plugged in.
4. Portability, a carry handle and the ability to store the keyboard and mouse.
5. To be manufactured from acrylic using a Laser cutter.
5. Good looks!
First I started to design a mount for the motherboard. The tricky bit here was getting all of the mounting holes to line up.
I used a piece of transparent acrylic to trace the outline of the motherboard and any protruding parts. I then marked and measured the mounting holes that I wanted to use.
I laser cut a prototype out of 3mm MDF to test the positions. It took a few attempts to get this right.