05/25/2021 at 09:05 •
This shift in concept of application accidentally slid in while working on the motivating application for this project.
The concept in my head from the start had been to model an internally configurable, externally featureless slide as a generic reusable component. For use by carving up the side plates, either literally with tools or in CAD or vector drawing to adapt the part for an application before before making it in the first place.
While working the application side of this idea -- the proverbial eating my own dogfood -- I eventually got the clue that a useless default defaults to useless when the universe of applications grows beyond contemplating how it might be applied. Derp. ("Plain" is close to useless because there's nearly no clearance on the inside of the plate for anything like a screwhead -- and I disparage hot glue/epoxy/etc enough to not want to eat that crow)
So it makes sense to provide at least one way to do something.
The "Stacking (simple)" side-cuts were half a nod at that after I stopped trying to keep the slide narrower than the length between the rows of screws at each end. The side cuts allow units to fit together across each other but left attaching them as a problem for later. They also take material away from where bendiness is already a compromise.
So that's the set-up for the Slow Dawn of the Obvious:
- attach slide side to something else
- attach slide side to side of another slide
- attach something else to slide side
are a small option space that cover a big fat most of what there is to do. (where "spoil board" is the degenerate case of attaching something to the slide)
And picking from a short list once for each side evades thinking about how many combinations are actually plausible.
The clamp for a specific rotary tool breaks from the idea of general utility, but a uniform clamp/slide interface teases the possibility of a more general/adaptable clamp or general way to roll your own specific clamp.
04/23/2021 at 07:34 •
Ok, I've managed to finish re-writing an Instructable without already having the next necessary re-write in mind. Yay!
The last couple of logs included:
[Update: but the 'ible is the Better Way. (...and I've thought of a futher simplification, I think...)]
Coming soon: another rev for easier ease of assembly, and [...]
I rilly wanted to get this done. But writing isn't my thing and this slowed me down for a good long time. Now maybe back to actually doing stuff...
04/12/2021 at 20:42 •
Slides stack easily for 2d.
Manual slide on top at full extension holds mass cantilevered far off the side of a powered slide. Bottom slide doesn't care.
03/19/2021 at 03:30 •
(update: ̶̶G̶o̶o̶g̶l̶e̶ ̶d̶o̶c̶ ̶ -> less ponderous 'ible)
Handwheel drive was a recent-ish simplification of a generalization of the slide mechanism used in #Minamil: a minimal CNC mill. After talking about but not posting sufficient info to make that reproducible for [some number of] months, I started this project when I had enough [i.e. too much] written about building a slide with handwheel drive, leaving stepper drive as a to-do.
paperclip needs tweaks
backlash adjuster (#Minamil demonstrates usefully small backlash)
You could probably figure out much of that yourself, but expecting anyone to pull the spring out of thin air seemed unreasonable.
Yay (for me -- I struggle with the writing-up part of any project -- on the rare occasion that I actually undertake to do so) for a milestone.
03/19/2021 at 02:04 •
While writing up "details" for this project and its "silly long" instructions doc, I added:
...I've just thought of an easier-to-describe assembly sequence that might work. It might cost some flexibility for post-assembly tinkering, but maybe that's a good trade for nearly everyone.
And then I went and tried that. Fail. But failing lead to another idea that worked. So hopefully the "Assembly" doc will get thinner "soon".
(removed that bit from the "details")