Close

Finished!

A project log for The Electric Flapper Dress

A sound-reactive dress with DIY fiber optic fabric

Julie BarrettJulie Barrett 06/07/2021 at 20:010 Comments

The dress is done! I still want to go back and adjust the software and add more patterns. Other work is calling, so that's going to have to do it for now. Here's a quick video I put together.

If I were to do this again, I would want to use a different set of lights. I'm not sure what I would use, but there are more and more addressable lights hitting the market, so I hope there will be better choices in the near future. I would also distress the fibers *before* I weave them into the tulle.

All in all, I think this will look pretty good on stage. My phone camera just isn't good at picking up the lights in video mode. I'm crossing my fingers that I'll have an opportunity to wear it before the year is out. 

All in all, it was a fun plague year project, and I did learn a lot in the process. 

Thanks to the gang here for your support and suggestions!

Here's a short build video, with bonus cat!

Discussions