I already started designing the v.02 board. I'm aiming for 50mm x 50mm to take advantage of cheaper board costs.
So far I've made the following improvements for the SMD board:
- redesigned the schematic to be much clearer
- switched the LDO to SMD component
- switched the 4x10K and 2x20K resistors to SMD components
- switched the 4 bypass capacitors to SMD components
- switched the fuse to SMD component
- replaced the screw holes with proper grounded M3 mounting holes
Here are the components which will be part of the through-hole kit (excluding the PCB):
The kits will have 4 variants:
- Through-hole PCB only: you source the components yourself
- Through-hole full kit: PCB and all required components (pictured above)
- SMD PCB only: you source the non-SMD components yourself, the rest are pre-soldered
- SMD PCB + mounted components kit: has all required components, you solder the 5V regulator and 120ohm resistor
In all cases, there will be some soldering required, with option 1 requiring the most amount of work on your end, down to option 4 requiring the least.
I'm not too happy with the v.01 board, so I will likely scrap it and order new v.02 boards in through-hole version as well.