2 hours ago •
As with the first version of WinDIY, I want to connect the blades to the hub with this version in such a way that it can be easily exchanged if the worst comes to the worst. For this purpose I designed a simple hexagonal plug-in device, which is a bit tight but works in principle. :)
10/13/2021 at 18:17 •
After a little break I'm back at working on WinDIY_2.
So far I finished most parts of the CAD work. The design of the baldes was a bit challenging, because in contrast to WinDIY (the first version) I wanted to design the wings correctly this time. Correctly because in the previous design I used a blade design that was not tapered or in general adapted to the turbine.
I used the tool QBlade for the design of the blade.
Below you can see some first impressions. :)
Beside of this I'm currently working on the hub controller PCB. Will post some infos about that in a seperate post. :)
08/01/2021 at 12:50 •
meanwhile I have almost finished the development of the wind sensor called Anemosens for WinDIY_2.
I have summarized a few details in the following video. You can also find more information here: https://hackaday.io/project/180202-anemosens-sla-printed-anemometer
06/09/2021 at 14:47 •
In the last few days I have been working on the first drafts for the anemometer for WinDIY_2. You can find the first information about this in the following project log: https://hackaday.io/project/180202-anemosens-sla-printed-anemometer
Since I've always wanted to build an anemometer anyway to be able to collect wind data for my weather station, I built the sensor modular so that it can also be used in other situations (e.g. a weather station).
I tried to make the wind sensor as compact as possible. The sensor electronics will be built into the 27mm thick shaft. Later I want to build an adapter board so that the wind data can then also be read via RS485 or USB. :)
05/26/2021 at 16:19 •
The last few days I also started the first assembly of the stator.
Actually, this was already the second version of the stator. For the first version, I had planned to insert the windings from behind into recesses in the stator. However, they could not be attached well that way. In addition, the heat dissipation would have been very poor because the coils were almost completely surrounded by the stator housing.
The new stator is constructed in such a way that the coils are placed in recesses from the outside and screwed together with two M3 screws. This makes the construction and the fastening even easier and the ventilation better. Additionaly this reduces the air gap between the coils and the magnets by approx. 2mm.
You can see more information, pictures and a video of the installation of a coil insert in the following section.
05/26/2021 at 16:18 •
Possibly you remember the last construction of the pitch actuator for the first version of #WinDIY.
(If not you can see it for example here: https://hackaday.io/project/172328-windiy-hawt-wind-turbine/log/181897-pitchaktor-mark2-mark3-and-mark4)
At that time I built four versions because after each version I thought that I had now found the perfect design (which of course I didn't have).
That's why I want to test the new design more this time before using it in the final design. For this purpose I built a small test setup with which I can test the torque of the pitch actuator. I printed a wheel with a radius of 10cm and attached a rope to it. In order to determine the maximum torque I have attached various weights and determined at which weight the gearbox is blocked. The torque can then be calculated using the weight force of the attached weight.
Result: The pitch actuator is strong enough for my application. But of course every gear also has a final boss. :)
The heaviest wheight was about 3kg. At that point I did also end the test since this should be already more than sufficient. :)
You can see the a summary of the test in the following video
05/26/2021 at 16:14 •
In the first version of WinDIY I installed a pitch actuator. With this it was possible to adjust the angle of attack of the wings.
Unfortunately, the build was very complex and large. (You can find more information here: https://hackaday.io/project/172328/log/181897-pitchaktor-mark2-mark3-and-mark4 )
So I want to use a different system for the new version. I'm currently working on a 3d printed worm gear. Three of these should then be installed in the hub of the turbine in order to adjust the blades directly.
You can see the working prototype in the video below. This construction has several advantages:
- the wing can be adjusted much faster
- the mechanism is self-locking
- the mechanic has much less play
- easier to set up
Here is the promised video and a few pictures. :)