1.1 What problem are we going to solve?
Today we are used to have physical contact with the objects that surround us. This applies to switches, touchscreens, remote controls... The current crisis forces us to question these habits and to enter a new digital era where physical contact with certain objects must be reduced to a minimum.
While speech recognition allows a complete approach for transmitting information, it is still quite complex for machines and humans to grasp. A child is usually able to understand and imitate many signs long before his or her first words.
Why not use signs to create simple interactions that can convey more information than ON/OFF?
Once you send a movement or a pattern, GrumpyHedgehog can :
- Control a computer by sending keyboard command (movie pause, volume...)
- Track the number of person in a shop on your smartphone
- Safely unlock a computer
- Send encrypted informations to a server
- Control light or any power components
- Send IR command to your TV
- Move a servo motor
1.2 Key Elements
In addition to offering a modular solution with its different interfaces Grumpy Hedgehog is particularly distinguished in 4 aspects:
- It uses a VL53L1X Time Of Flight Sensor allowing complex motion recognition with 16x16 SPAD sensing array, it can run on most micro-controllers such as SAMD21 (MKR Wifi 1010) and Atmega328p (NANO/UNO board).
- The second aspect is the management of the LCD screen which is optimised to store in FLASH and display a moving image. The first tests on my Arduino UNO are promising!
- The third differentiating aspect is its design. The challenge here is to create a decorative object that you will gladly leave on display in your living room or office.
- It uses the ATECC508 secure element to create a strong security layer based on Public/Private Key to authenticates node IDs, ensures the integrity of messages, and supports key agreement to create session keys for message encryption. (This part isn't fully finished)
So you will understand that the GrumpyHedgehog with his thirst for learning, his gestural communication, his cute look and his grumpy character will quickly become your new companion.