I want this device to be a development platform for environmental sensing, warning, logging, health and everyday convenience features in a compact, rugged and sleek package with maximum battery life. I will leave space inside for more capabilities and modding down the line.
Features as of June 10, 2021:
(over 25 Data Points / Features)
- Fast Charging Out: 60w (USB-C, USB-A - QC4+, PD3.0)
- Fast Charging IN: 30w (USB-C, USB-micro-b)
- ESP32 Dev-Kit C
- LED ~2500lm Long Range (5000K, /w physical Button, BLF A6 7/4 Modes)
- LED ~1500lm Dispersed (4000K, dimmable, no Strobing)
- 'Thermal Duct' Cooling System (/w two 20x20mm Fans)
- Thermal Camera (8x8px - Interpolated max. 120x112px, 4 Modes)
- Air Quality Index (CO2, tVOC - EU/EC-Standard, indirect potential virus particle sensing)
- UV-Index (UV-A + UV-B - WHO-Standard)
- Temperature, Humidity, Pressure, dewPoint
- Heart Rate & BloodO2
- GPS, Compass
- SD Card Reader (Logging dataPoints, save Thermal Images, UI)
- 1.54" IPS TFT Screen & GUI with capacitive touch Buttons or analog joystick
- 0.91" OLED secondary low-power screen
- HTML App (Data Monitoring and Settings - Offline on localNetwork)
- Automatic Sleep and Power Save modes
- Error, Battery and Electronic Path Protection (Auto-Shutdown, Warnings)
- Robust Design, some Redundant Sensors & Components
- Upcycled MJ1 18650 Batteries and eventually sustainably sourced materials
For the first functional prototype i am staying in the Arduino and off-the-shelf realm. I have completed my initial research & testing and while coding the UI, i am now working on the prototype build.
Who is it for?
- support for rural areas with no or limited access to medical monitoring instruments
- air monitoring and temperature testing in offices and schools (for general Air Quality and Virus prevention)
- outdoor and adventure (ie. Traveling, off-the-grid living, offline living, UV Index / Sunscreen indicator, Air Quality inside boats/cars/tents, detecting engine fumes in enclosed spaces, Compass and Location for trekking, portable high power Lamps)
- support in case of emergency (GSM/GPS location beacon, SOS lamp signal, body health stats monitoring in case of sickness)
- high end wireless IOT Weather, Air Quality, Monitoring and Logging Station and Lamp for the Home
Why am i making the H6X Pod?
i had the Idea after i returned from India where i had been travelling on Foot, Train and Motorbike from North to South and back. Around March 2020 I was spending my time with new friends in Rishikesh, one of whom slowly got really sick, right when COVID really started in India. We questioned bringing her to the Hospital but couldnt really tell, no doctors to find and the medicine shops gave us wrong or fake antibiotics, which didn't help. So, during that time we had the need for a thermometer but couldn't find any after searching whole Tapovan. Her condition worstened and nothing helped, but after a lot of convincing and back and forth, we brought her to the Rishikesh Hospital, masked up and evading the doctors in the entrances, who were to trying to catch and test all the "Covid Tourists". We found out, after the usual India chaos, that she had a bladder infection that had started spreading to her kidneys and that she had been in quite a bit of danger.
She stayed in the hospital for 4 days, we visited.
That gave me this idea, what if I could build a thing that had say, a Body Temperature Sensor and a HeartRate monitor and for convenience a Powerbank and a Lamp. We definitely wouldn't have been so clueless and unaware of the danger that she had been in. Our friend slowly got better with the help of the right antibiotics. Soon after that, we decided to leave from Delhi for Germany with the last Government chartered plane, which we almost missed due to the lockdowns. It was an adventure, but luckily everyone got back home safe and healthy.
Whats the vision?
to find a small community and collaborators to develop and test new ideas on this form factor/platform (and maybe a smaller one down the line) in health, environmental and biochemical sensing areas. Reaching out and teaming up with upcoming biochemical sensing companies and researchers. Exploring the modularity, maybe making different versions for different use cases or simple swappable modules. Or integrating existing modular systems (M5 stack). And keeping the H6X Pod open for modding and hacking.
Further into the future (dreaming):
Increasing accuracy of sensors, to the point of getting certified health standards. Eventually designing a commercial version and selling the device(s). Acquiring sustainably sourced materials for production. Start with more expensive limited run, learn from that and scale up to cheaper, bigger volume version.
- Sensirion SCD41 + SHT45 (replace SCD30) (CO2, RH, T)
- Sensirion SGP40 (replace CCS811) (tVOC)
- PM2.5 Particle Sensor
- Carbon Monoxide Gas Sensor
- Flammable Gases Sensor
- Ozone Gas Sensor
- Water Quality Sensor
- GSM Network
- AI for anomalous events and situational awareness (Indoor/Outdoor, environment, emergency status, health warnings)
- programmable variable power supply (laptops, coolers, car starter)
- Geiger counter
- UV emitters (surface sterilization)
- Radar Sensor (speed measuring and human presence detector)
- Long Range Walkie-Talkie Module
- Stereo 24bit Sound Recorder, Spectrum Analyser
- Movement energy generation (with electromagnets to trickle charge while walking)
- Laser Rangefinder
- HighPower Laser Emitter (SOS beacon, cats)
- precise LUX meter (photography)
- Arc Lighter (fire-starter)