Close

First prototype build

A project log for LiFePO4wered/18650

LiFePO4 battery technology, made easy for makers - a bigger version

Patrick Van OosterwijckPatrick Van Oosterwijck 11/09/2016 at 18:100 Comments

Always a good day when you get a package from OSH Park. :)

As you can see, I went fancy with the silkscreen this time. I have to say I like it a lot, looks much more "branded" now compared to the simple vector font.

Cut a plastic film stencil on the Tinkermill lasercutter, this worked fine since there aren't any tiny pitch components. I placed the parts by hand, here's a picture of two proto's ready to be reflowed:

And after reflow. Looking good!

As you can see I used a different inductor on the two prototypes. I'm making some variations to see what works better.

Here's a picture of the completely built-up unit with 18650 LiFePO4 cell:

And a prototype used with the #LiFePO4wered/Pi:

Now it's time for testing, first impression is good--as you can see, the Pi is running. :)

Discussions