The current state of the project is:
- Main components built into the PC case and wired up. Case installed beside toolbench on some redwood decking offcuts.
- Software and motor function verified
- Pulleys bored out to 16mm, motors installed
- 13" 1080P monitor acquired and installed with RPi on swivel arm.
- HAL configuration done and PID values nudged to where I'm happy with them
- HAL configured for encoder feedback. This seems to work really well.
- spindle encoders for RPM feedback - just pulse encoders for now. Adequate for slow threading.
- Play with it and make things
- limit switches. I'm actually not sure I need them on the lathe. I'll crash into the chuck, the tailstock or the work before I hit the machine limits, and home is dependent on where the toolpost gets bolted down. Repeatable homing would be a help though, as LinuxCNC occasionally crashes.
- quadrature encoder on lathe