- The wall sections should be between an 1/8" to 1/4" thick, with the grid size between 1 1/4" and 1 1/2". This ensures that standard 1" / 28mm miniatures fit within the walls, and the entire grid table doesn't get too huge at larger grid arrangements.
- The walls should preferably have a stroke length of 1", but a minimum of 1/2" would be fine.
- The height of the entire unit should be no taller than 3", otherwise players may have trouble seeing over top of it when it's sitting on a table.
- The actuators only need to move the walls to a fully extended and fully retracted state. The ability to partially extend the walls is unnecessary.
- The actuators need to be as cheap as possible, as a 24x24 gridded unit would have over 1000 individually controlled walls.