About a week ago, I showed you pictures of my second prototype which wasn't 100% functional, at the time. Since then I speed a few days trying to get the SGTL5000 to work without any success.
I could talk to the chip via I2C, but the I2S output was both weird and unreliable no matter what I tried (I get either 0x00000000 or 0xFFFF8000 if I recall correctly).
I'm thinking that my SGTL5000 could be faulty (I won't blame it on NXP, my reflow job was ghetto-ish and frankly terrible) so I bought another one... and it turned out I mistakenly ordered the QFN-32 variant instead of the QFN-20.
Hopefully I *stiil* have the equipment at home to make PCBs, I drafted a breakout board directly in pcbnew (from KiCad) and etched the PCB in an afternoon. I got the occasion to try some new presensitized material from a local shop: the results were terrible (I tried multiple exposure times, etch times, etc.) and in the end I was glad that I had Bungard leftovers (this brand seems to make good presensitized boards).
I soldered the SGTL5000 on the breakout board and I still have to replace the SGTL5000 on the prototype PCB with the one from the breakout board.