Instead of buying another 3D printer, why not spend that money upgrading the Ender 3 you love to hate and go from an economical plastic pooping machine into a tricked out PLASTIC SH*%$$@G BEAST that boasts full linear rails, all metal carriage replacement and LED illuminated E3D V6 High Temp hotend.
Everything Is Blue.
Please use the links to buy the parts! This helps to support more projects like these!
After a long couple of months and unhealthy periods of procrastination, the time has finally come to begin uploading RC1 of the specification.
However, I have returned to the original Y carriage and belt drive. I found that a single lead screw and single rail did not provide the appropriate stability, at least not using the brackets and mounts I had used. Eventually, I do plan on returning to the lead screw drive, but will likely be a dual lead screw design. If all else fails, I will likely end up putting a ball screw on it.
In the near future, I also plan on developing an auto tramming system and several other goodies to make this a true fork and not just a specification remix of the BLV project.
Well, the project is technically finished. The second z-axis bracket made it's way here. Everything is assembled and wired.
Then..I broke it.
I had a slim stepper on the Y axis, but this was honestly too much for the little guy. So I threw two of the slim ones on the Z axis (perfecto) and stole the Z axis motor as it's the same as the original Y motor, without the stupid press fittings.
I. Didn't. Swap. The. Middle. Wires. Back.
Oh yeah. It peaked above the drivers rating. Now I have no Y axis control.
This project is temporarily delayed for 2 weeks as I either arrange a new board or get brave enough and make something out of one of my RaspberryPis
What started off as a Linear Motion Mod for the Ender 3 has somehow transitioned into making custom paint. I'm just as confused as you are on how we got here, but I love the results and knowledge XP gained on this Easter Egg of a side quest.
Well, actually, two types of paint were needed. The metal paint is a (hopefully) automotive grade blend of enamels that are baked on. The plastic paint is a blend of acrylics and modified enamels that get "baked" on with the low setting of a heat gun in constant motion. Both using artisan grade pigments in high concentration that results in a vibrancy I couldn't match with paint that would be considered remotely affordable.
That leaves us with where the project stands today. The firmware is ready; All currently planned hardware has been purchased, fitted and tested; The printer has been fully disassembled, painted and baked. We are now ready to re-assemble it, cut some new wires and publish the videos as well as instructions.
I have received the hotend setup and the shroud I had originally chosen for the project. The shroud was 1/4" too thick to fit with the metal clamp system. I will need to design a shroud for this project. For now, I will be using the Haldis 3D J6 hotend I had been
I had over-looked the fact that this kit was meant for an Ender 3 Pro with a 4040 Extrusion on the Y plane. The belt-drive does not at all function as intended, and after 3 days of modding I gave up on the belt.
So please note, if you intend to stay with the belt drive, you will need to purchase a proper extrusion and tap it out to fit the Ender 3.
Otherwise, you can use the dual z bracket to drive the y axis with a lead screw.