I currently have two VR support rigs that are meant to be used with my passive VR shoes.
Both rigs support
- Crouching (crouching height is adjustable)
- Walking while turning.
- The platforms are the same, so they have the same noise reducing materials.
- The platform can be leaned flat up against a wall for storage.
- No welding required to build either rig.
Ceiling Mounted Rig Pros and Cons
- Less time to assemble since there are less parts.
- There is no resistance to turning. It's like butter. It's also completely silent.
- Smaller size. Rig can be stored up on the ceiling, or the majority of it can be stored in a small closet.
- It's easier to make the platform as large as you want. The platform is also not required to be elevated.
- Requires bolting into the ceiling.
- It's bolted to one spot, so it can't be moved around.
- Requires a lower ceiling. My ceiling is 7 feet tall in the basement where I have it set up.
- Height is not as adjustable as with the other rig.
Free Standing Rig Pros and Cons
- Bolting into the ceiling is not required.
- Can be moved around. It weighs about 50 pounds. I can easily drag or push it around my basement.
- Height is more adjustable than the other rig.
- More parts, so takes more time to build.
- Turning as some resistance. I find the resistance comfortable and am not bothered by it, but it is noticeable, especially when switching between the two rigs.
- While playing, I don't notice it, but turning has some noise.
- More time to partially disassemble to store away.
- I've designed the platform to be 42in in diameter. It could be made bigger, but would require designing and building a bigger octagon. The platform's edge must be elevated, which I use layers of polystyrene to do.
After using both rigs for extended periods of time, I prefer the ceiling mounted rig. I realize this rig is not an option for many people. I prefer it mainly because turning while walking has no resistance. It also has the advantages of less parts and a simpler platform design.
In the Future
In the future I may design and build a 3rd support rig. This rig will take my ceiling mounted design and instead of bolting it to the ceiling, couple it to something like the frame of a swing set.