• Received the Retro Chip Tester Pro

    sxpert04/13/2022 at 09:04 0 comments

    In order to make sure everything works, I have ordered a Retro Chip Tester Pro from Stephan

    https://8bit-museum.de/sonstiges/hardware-projekte/hardware-projekte-chip-tester-english/

    which I just received.

    Time to order the components to fill this very nice set of boards !

  • Some updates

    sxpert04/12/2022 at 15:02 0 comments

    I made a new component for the board and gold fingers, and modified the first board to use it.

    Also, I dumped it all into a new gitlab project.

    enjoy !

    I'll be ordering boards when some money shows up. will have more pictures then

  • First board fully routed !

    sxpert04/05/2022 at 19:50 0 comments

    There, took some time, but the first board (the DAP, DAta Paths) is fully routed

  • Fixing up first bug

    sxpert04/04/2022 at 15:24 0 comments

    Turns out I was mistaken with the A=B situation.

    The pins on the ALU are open collector, this does a wired AND, which is incredibly slow (as suspected).

    So, what I had needs modified, and this appears to be more appropriate. The R11 / R12 value is debatable though, maybe the classic 1k value would be good enough ?

  • First board started !

    sxpert04/03/2022 at 09:55 0 comments

    So, how do we go on doing this ?

    Well, download the document here for the KB11-C processor boardand start page 1 😎

    First board is the M8130 DAP (Data Paths) which contains the 16 bit integer ALU and related multiplexers.

    Schematic capture is done.

    There is one thing that looks wierd to me in the original schematic, namely, the ALU chips (74S181) A=B ouputs are tied together with a pair of resistors to pull the line up/down, sure looks like a wired or hack...


    So I decided to add the possibility to replace this with proper or gates (a 74S02 would add 5.5ns, which I don't think is so much delay that it'd break things)

    Same thing happens in the generation of "BUS A=B (15:08) H"

    Of course, the board could be populated with more recent parts such as ACT for all functions that currently exist in this family.

    I have now started routing the board. about 50% done right now.