This is why - We all want a future with Abundant Clean Energy
Kite Turbine power is scalable using lightweight tensile networks.
Higher altitude wind is more energy dense and these kite turbines are very light in embodied CO2e So if we can make these turbines reliable (already mechanically autonomous) They could change the game on cheap and clean energy farming.
How to make an energy independent electric vehicle with a Kite Turbine.
More Detailed Instructions
- Make a Lifting Kite
- Make a Kite Turbine
- Make a Ground Station
- Put it all in your car
- Park up (best on a windy hill)
- Fly the Kite Turbine
- Use it to charge the EV battery
First though We're going to talk about your motivation (Is that something actors do?)
Build a Kite Turbine
Simple as that. It's fun, It's got power comes out. Not only that ... You might be doing a really good thing.
We build Kite Turbines because the world needs clean affordable energy.
We all know wind turbines are amazing right.
Yes - but no. They're so heavy they can't scale.
Wind power is not yet as amazing as it's going to become.
Looking down on wind turbines from an airplane, you realise, they are tiny compared to the airspace they could be extracting from, and that airspace has more powerful and consistent wind away from the surface.
Here's why Wind turbines aren't as high as kites yet. They're seriously heavy. See this IRENA graphic.
Wind turbine towers are massive rigid steel structures. Strong enough to resist the cantilever bending, head mass loading and generation torque. These towers have to follow cubic mass scaling (To the power of ~2.63)
Onshore, the tower is fixed to a huge concrete foundation to prevent it toppling over.
A road has to be built up a hill. Giant blades have to be made so that the tips (the efficient part) can sweep further at high speed.
This is not an efficient design yet. Material is not aligned with the force.
Like a suspension bridge, Kite Turbines use efficient design to align the loads (blade aerodynamic forces) with efficient tensioned lines.
Kite Turbines don't need the tower, the foundation, or the road.
Even most of the blade is cut from a Kite Turbine. These blades only fly the outermost ring. The most efficient part.
The power to weight ratio of standard wind turbines is dreadful, which means it takes them longer to pay back the carbon equivalent emissions embodied in their manufacture. Endurance E3120 50kW = power-to-weight ratio of only 0.02kW/kg (And that's a good one it's only wee)
Kite Turbines Power-to-Weight tested 1kW/kg (Airborne) 0.2kW/kg (total)
You've seen how basic our Kite Turbines were... We are quite certain we can increase this to >2kW/kg (airborne) >.8kW/kg (total)
When I walk up to a wind farm, Standing right up underneath a giant wind turbine, I look at the stairs leading to the tower access door. I estimate the mass of just the handrail (not the balusters) is the same mass as an entire >3kW Kite Turbine.
That 3kW is a magic number... Your modern kettle is up to 3kW. 3kW is ~ the average (24/7) power demand of a UK home. It's also the speed your domestic plug will charge an EV car. And this Kite turbine fits in the back of your car ... oh
Here's the thing, this could be BIG
We suspect kite turbines are going to be very scalable
Eventually with more research - The forces in a network of network turbines should look something like this
And we're going to assess how offshore capable they are.
There are further positive effects of designing wind turbines (Kite Turbines) this way. The modular blade elements can all be swapped out very quickly on the ground (no crane or rope access experts needed)
Here's how we reckon Kite Turbines can reduce the cost of energy to <5p/kWh
Improvements in Financing include
- Recoverable Assets
- Low Engineering Cost Barrier with Mechanical Autonomy in flight
- Insurable Safe Network and safety line Design
- Consenting demand lower than legacy AWES 1.0 altitude
- Easier Environmental & NIMBY consent
- Diverse Deployment Locations
- Estimates from short deployments
- ESG compliance
Improvements in Capital Investment Include
- Rapid Modular Production from Minimal Facility
- Tensile Turbine Array modular configuration options
- Simple System Autonomy via ground control sets
- Low footprint & Lightweight ground generation
Improvement in Annual Energy Production Include
- Low cut-in ~3.5m/s
- Fast Modular Servicing
- Constant Autogyro Output
- Redeploy to match resource (accross town / west hill / fallow field / island/ mountain / adventure...)
- Naturally runs in Perfect Kite Window Position
- Back-drive mode to stay aloft through Lull (Eventually for launch)
- Line Fairing enhancements for low drag avoid flutter on short transmission line segments
- Stacking efficiency gives Low line drag/blade
Improvement in Operating Expense Include
- Lightweight modular deployment = no road
- Deployment from ground level = No crane
- Servicing at ground level = No rope access risks or costs
- Modular servicing = minimal downtime
- “Disposable” blade costs
- Low tech repairs
- Simple automated deployment device for easy training and safer operation
- Transportable & Relocatable
- Smooth common network array flight control
- No running line wear
- Tensile overspeed tolerance
- Storm shelter recovery mode
In a similar way
Here's how we reckon Kite Turbines can reduce the embodied carbon emissions of wind energy to <1gCO2e/kWh
Improved Construction effects include
- Rapid Modular Production from Minimal Facility
- Tensile Turbine Array components are lightweight low cost fabric
- Ground anchor replaces foundation for tensile minimal footprint ground station
- Modular configuration makes easier to deployment match or change to appropriate turbine configuration without needing years of wind survey data
- Simple System Autonomy via lines networking the kite to ground control sets
- Low footprint & Lightweight ground generation (no peat digging, no road building)
- Structure and capability from wind pressure not steel
Improved Lifetime and end of life effects include
- Servicing at ground level
- Fast Low tech modular repairs
- Azimuth alignment from form
- Low ground use
- Recoverable asset
- Relocatable modules
- Lightweight & recyclable material
Improved energy supply through generation period effects include
- Large wind range with Low cut-in ~3.5m/s and storm spill, yaw, lofted or Grounded Survival mode
- Back-drive mode to stay aloft through lulls
- Rings matched to shear profile with lower blades bank optimised to increase transmission capacity
- Constant autogyro output (The only AWES to do this)
- Redeploy to match resource. Seasonal re application, travelling or adaptation capability.
- Runs in perfect kite window. Constantly in the "Kite Power Zone"
- Rotor stacking efficiency via low line drag per blade area
- Low control mass overhead improves production capacity
- Tensile network scaling means access to new higher altitude wind resources
- High deployment density especially when using Network of lift kite Networks designs
- Large swept area per blade length at high speed
- Good wake recovery pattern at tops of rotor loops encourages high Lift/Drag
Improved self efficiency through generation period effects include
- Lightweight network deployment doesn't waste energy keeping controls aloft
- Operations at ground level keep machinery requirements low
- Modular servicing small blade elements for quick swap out and remote or local repair
- Less material per kW than higher altitude AWES
- Modular deployment matches shear profile top rotor blades drive harder lower blades expand more for transmission
- Stacked rotor blades Banked to plane of rotor in upper section - the blades provide high Lift in clean air
- Stacked rotor blades Banked to plane of rotor in lower section - the blades have less pull down
- Low mass multi blade deployments match wind energy capacity For AWES extraction
- Efficient array smoothed network control
- Low blockage hollow axis stacking
They're really good eh?