While the buttons were on their way, I started to design the actual controller. I started with a square handheld where the phone would slide in. Soon after, I realized that it is just too massive and buttons would be far apart and it would be uncomfortable to hold and use.
The next iteration was something akin to PSX controller. however, first, it ends up being rather big and second, it would be top heavy and painful on wrists.
So, I figured, something that would plug into the phone from both sides, like switch. I designed the first right hand side and printed it. It ended up being too big and buttons would be hard to reach.
The next iteration, I reduced the size and rounded the bottoms. This actually worked. Next up, printed the face place and buttons arrived. Found out that the button holes are too small so fixed that.
Next came the challenge of he phone mount. I made it modular and surprising, it holds the phone well with it's case as well as my very old Oneplus 3T. The downside was that the little box underneath the phone where I intended to hold start and select buttons curled up while printing.
Not to worry, thickened the sidewalls and used a brim. Came out beautiful.
While all parts are printing, time to work on the electronics.