Modeling clay has one main drawback: the high cost price. It is a material that, although it is within the reach of most people, it is also true that it is considered expensive for those who do not have a clear idea of its use or simply do not know how to use it correctly yet and, therefore, might think that They waste the investment. For this reason, you can start learning with another material similar to the clay that artists use and it is also convenient to know several methods to make homemade moldable clay in order to have it without having to buy it, because although it is not exactly the same as the used by artists can be used to practice or to entertain children for a long time and get them to learn while having fun.
Many people, when thinking of making homemade clay for children, may also be thinking of a material such as plasticine or polymer clay (also called Fimo). However, although they are moldable materials that may have similarities, several aspects must be taken into account. In the case of polymer clay and plasticine, we can indicate some important aspects:
- Unlike plasticine, this clay hardens when heated in the oven.
- Polymer clay has the ability to combine different colors. It gives the option of mixing two tones, thus creating an original marbled effect. If you prolong the kneading a lot, you will end up obtaining a homogeneous mixture, that is, a polymer clay of another color.
- Polymer clays are made from plasticized PVC. If you want to harden once the figures are created, these clays have to be baked between 110 °C and 130 °C.
- If you were wondering how to make polymer clay, we are sorry to tell you that it is not possible to make Fimo clay, since the plastic ingredients it is made of are only available to companies and professionals on the market, not to individuals. So if you want exactly this type of clay you can only buy it.
After knowing all this, we help you discover how to make homemade clay with different easy-to-find materials. We start by teaching you how to make clay with cornstarch, cornstarch or starch or corn flour.
- Acrylic paint or food coloring.
- White glue used in furniture (optional)
Steps to make homemade clay with cornstarch
- Mix the cornstarch with the salt in a bowl. Use the amount you consider appropriate depending on the project you have in mind to work with the clay, but you should always add twice as much flour as salt.
- Gradually add water to the mixture. Do it using small spoonfuls to stir it with the flour and salt until you get the ideal texture.
- If you detect that the mixture is getting especially sticky, choose to add more flour. Thus, the material will have a greater consistency.
- Add the food coloring to add color to the clay if you want.
- Finally, knead the mixture and you can start creating figures with this homemade material.