Again, wanting to get something to show from this project. I assembled the painted pieces.
Problems were found pretty much immediately. I neglected to acquire a new mobo watercooler and am reluctant to tear apart the existing AIO cooler. Luckily I found a spot for it, but it isn't connected to the planned loop. And then the graphics card as well, I didn't have the new thermal pads on hand so the waterblock was postponed. (It's all air-cooled now but changes planned for next revision)
As a last minute attachment, I hacked the front panel off my old case with a band saw and elegantly mounted it onto the new chassis.
The deadline was coming up so I decided to push forward (despite not having the keeb and monitor connectors up) and paint/assemble/build. I could add more later. I laser cut the case, as is, out of mdf.
I wanted a folding screen and had an old laptop I had broken previously. Great for a donor and instructables led me to a seller on ebay for pc-boards that convert the format to hdmi. I set to building a rugged case for it to work with.
Once everything was printed, drilled and set out, it was time to assemble.
And put together!
Took the old keys off... Then put the new ones on. (After cleaning)
I'm a tactile learner, so generally need to get my hands on something to figure out if it's going to work or not. At this stage I put together what I had to see how it could fit together.
This version I had already 3-D printed a few things and was using a larger radiator I came upon. The asymetry was neat, but with modern graphics cards generating so much heat, I determined I needed to distribute the load further. Revisions incoming.
I really wanted a cool tube full of neon-colored liquid on this project somewhere. So, I scoured the internet and found a good deal on 2.25" Diameter, clear polycarbonate tubing. (Wound up with 8' of the stuff.) And then found 2.25" diameter Rod to go with it. The tube became the body and the rod was cut and then machined on the lathe to fit within it with G1/4 threads.
While that was going on, I needed to make ready the parts scrounged to be cross-compatible. The radiator on the left needed to undergo a transformation from being used in an AIO (All-in-one) with proprietary sizes to standard watercooling sizes. So the hoses were cut off and threads readied for G1/4 bspt fittings.
Cut, drilled and tapped...
But then I found out the connectors needed more clearance, and accidentally ground too deep while creating some...
So that was remedied with Epoxy putty.
To get this oxidation out, I threw it in the ultrasonic cleaner at 50 degrees C.
It worked wonders for the oxidation! But, kind of stripped the paint off the device as well.