I've been using the keyboard with the attached docking station for a week, and I have found several improvement opportunities. That's a nice way of saying that it's pissing me off.
I like the design above, the in-set ball and the nice hollow around it draw the eye.
Prototype printed in 'Purple Disappointment' with a copper ball for contrast
View of the docking station. Look at all those tasty ports!
- Dock + Keyboard do not work across the USB switch I use to cycle between work and personal machines at my desk.
- RAM 25mm Ball Joint Connectors are too heavy,
- Ball joint recess makes interior cable management difficult.
- Lack of direct access to the keyboard plug limits usability when I wanted to just plug in the keyboard.
- USB cables plugged into the ports bump against my laptop because they are low, and my desk is small.
- The seam between keyboard chassis and dock is unappealing.
Surprisingly, having the USB-C port only work in a single orientation was not a problem.
Plans for next revision:
- Built in cable management as a separate piece with combs.
- Built in stand for Steam Deck, not a semi-permanent mount.