The article is being published in collaboration with JLCPCB. They supply high quality PCBs at a very reasonable price. They also can provide SMT circuit assembly.
We thanks to our sponsor JLCPCB https://jlcpcb.com/RTA for sponsoring us PCBs for this project circuit.
Thanks To JLCPCB.
$2 for 1-4 Layer PCBs.
Get SMT Coupons - https://jlcpcb.com/RTA
In this project, we’ll teach you making a 5v power supply circuit. To make this 5v power supply circuit, we make half wave rectifier circuit. A half wave rectifier is defined as a type of rectifier that allows only one-half cycle of an AC voltage waveform to pass while blocking the other half cycle.
A full-wave rectifier is a rectifier which is used for converting both the half cycles of Ac input into DC output.
The circuit is used for converting the one-half cycle of Ac input to DC output. A rectifier is an electronic device than converts an alternating current into a direct current. A half-wave rectifier is used in soldering iron types of circuits and is also used in mosquito repellent to drive the lead for the fumes. In electric, welding, bridge rectifier circuits are used to supply steady and polarized DC voltage.
Component List -
To make this 5v power supply circuit, we might need some electronics component. You can order your assembled SMT circuit form JLCPCB.
All components list have been given below –
- Resistor – 1K
- Rectifier Diode – 1N 4007
- LED – 5mm
- Filter Capacitor - 1000µf/ 25v
- Voltage Regulating IC – 7812
- Transformer – 12.0.12v
- AC Cable
Advantages of Full Wave Rectifier -
• The rectifier efficiency of a full-wave rectifier is high
• The power loss is very low
• Number of ripples generated are less
• Form Factor
• DC Output Current
• Peak Inverse Voltage
• Root Mean Square Value of Load Current IRMS
Disadvantages of Half Wave Rectifier -
• It uses four diodes to design the circuit
• This circuit is not used whenever a small voltage is necessary to be corrected because the connection of two diodes can be done in series & provides a double voltage drop because of their inside resistance.
• As compared with the half-wave, it is complicated.
• The peak inverse voltage of the diode is high, so these are larger and costlier.
• This rectifier is complex to place the center tap over the minor winding.
• The DC o/p is little because each diode uses simply one-half of the secondary voltages of the transformer.
Applications of Half Wave Rectifier -
The applications of a full-wave rectifier include the following.
• This kind of rectifier is mainly used for identifying the amplitude of the modulating radio signal.
• In electric welding, polarized DC voltage can be supplied through a bridge rectifier
• The bridge rectifier circuit is used in a power supply circuit for different applications because it can convert the voltage from high AC to low DC.
• These rectifiers are used to provide the power supply to the devices which function with DC voltage similar to LED and Motor.
Circuit Connection – Step 1
To make this 5v power supply circuit, we are using 1N 4007rectifier diode. We connect two rectifier diode cathode terminals with anode terminal of 1000µf/ 25v capacitor. For power indicator we are using 5mm LED light.
Now we connect 5mm LED cathode terminal with anode terminal of rectifier diode. Then we connect 1k resistor with anode terminal of LED and resistor’s other terminal with cathode terminal of that rectifier diode.
Circuit Connection – Step 2
Though we are using 12.0.12 volt transformer, for that we need to connect a voltage regulating IC. Now we connect 7805 voltage regulating IC with the circuit. This voltage regulating IC have, three terminal. These three terminals have three different names (Voltage In, Ground and Voltage Out).
This time connect capacitor anode terminal with (Voltage In) terminal of voltage regulating IC and capacitor cathode terminal with (Ground) terminal of voltage regulating IC.
For voltage...Read more »