On the eve of destruction

A project log for The Tile Job

Adventures of a software guy doing his first bathroom tile re-do.

wjcarpenterWJCarpenter 02/23/2024 at 01:010 Comments

Or, rather, the day of. This is how it starts:

And this is how it (almost) ends:

I still have to take the backing off the other two walls and then trim up all around.

I found out some interesting things during demolition. 

Once I got a good look at the plumbing behind the wall, I changed my mind about doing it myself. The arrangement of supply pipes tangled up with framing studs looks like a tricky business. I've scheduled a plumber to come and estimate swapping it out for me. Unless the estimate is for an arm and a leg, I'll let them do it.

UPDATE: The estimate was for an arm and a leg, so I'm back to doing the plumbing connections myself. In my original fantasy plan, that was going to be among the first things I did so it would be out of the way. Now that I need to think about it a bit, I'll delay it for a day or three to make sure I'm happy with my plan.

Update: Here's a look at things after I tidied up a bit.

Once the old backerboard was off, the studs were in better shape behind the dodgy area than I was expecting. There is some discoloration, but I couldn't see any definitive rot or the dreaded black mold. As a precaution, I spayed that area with some mold-killing stuff and let it dry overnight. Discoloration you might see in other areas is unrelated to the water penetration.