I originally started as I am going to be visiting EMF Camp (www.emfcamp.org) and wanted something to put outside of my tent that lights up. Due to the connected nature of the event I wanted it to be controllable via an internet page.
ust a little teaser for anyone that is following the project and, like me, getting very frustrated with the lack of progress!
Well good news, it's now winter which means no more quad flying or climbing trips in the great outdoors. I've also moved house and now have plenty of indoor workshop space to get cracking... Wait, isn't this where I insert the excuse not the reasons the get going...
Anyway, have a look the pretty neat render I did today, which coincidentally is now also the project picture, and keep an eye out for lots of new updates!
So it's taken me quite a while, but I have uploaded a youtube video showing where the project is at and a few of the future aims, it really complements the rest of the content here on the projects page.
you can find a link over to the right of the project page
This log is a WIP however the first side is slowly coming together now. It has all the components made and they have started to be glued together. Pictures below show the first layout. I will update with pics of the glueing process when I get round to taking some.
The first parts have been milled! & It is slowly starting to come together. Below are a selection of pictures of the milling and milled parts, there isn't a lot of detail in this post except that we had a few problems with Bits breaking & job files being incorrect but we now have a template for finishing the rest of the milling process (hopefully in time).
In the boot!
Having to hand sand the burrs and crap off of each part...
The design for the redstone lamp how now been completed on
Sketchup, it consists of four individual pieces. These pieces are:
Side 1 – repeated for two sides
Side 2 – repeated for the other two
These sides all have sections cut away from the edge of the
components in order to slot the box, this aids in transport as it will be able
to be flat packed down into six 1m^3 sections. A corner section, with the side
slightly moved can been seen in the picture below.
Once this design had been finalised the sides of the lamp
needed to be cut up into much smaller sections so that they were able to be
milled. The CNC bed was 720mm x 550mm and so the sections were cut and tessellated
to take up as little space as possible to bring down costs. In the following
picture you can see the final of all the components for each side.
Final Cut Up:
In order to add strength and connect the sides a 3D printed
part was designed to bolt the components together, this part will be 3D printed
on my lamp however it may be cheaper to mill this in future iterations, in the
pictures below it is shown on a Makerbot Replicator 2 bed and it was rather
larger than anticipated!
3D Printed Part in
The design of all the components to be made is now “complete”
barring any alterations made when the milling process is started. Next blog
will be on the milling process, what I changed about the design (not as much as
anticipated!) and the sanding/gluing process