I should have tested it before, first the kit themself and then the forrest mims version. The matrix is all soldered up and the kits are soldered like I've interpreted it so far.
At this point I cant tell what I've captured there, I'm having my thumb on signal ground to produce some jitter.
- I had to change the capacitor for the 555 to around 100nF, because I need a much faster scanning of the 4017
- no LEDs were used of all the kits (yay, rectangular LEDs!)
- resistors for the red LEDs of the LM3915 kit were "jumpered"
- my orange LEDs turn green when I slow down the scaling, which for me hints to too much current being drawn
- the bottom line seems to mirror the top line and everything is upside down from what I've expected
- using 50 orange LEDs from one bag and 50 orange LEDs from another doesn't mean you get 100 equally orange LEDs (I still have some green 3mm LEDs though, also diffused, better suited for this)
- meh, I need chocolate. Yes, you've read that right, I need beer
- I have to, but I don't want to "reverse engineer" the kit's schematics