Re-designed and cut some new side panels for the M2.
- The door hinge was relocated the the front corner to allow it to open a full 180 degrees. The door is 13mm larger to compensate.
- The door striker was replaced with a magnetic closure.
- Switched to a different paint chemistry. The previous paint had the wrong mix of volatile organics and was degrading the impact resistance of the polycarbonate.
- Riveted all the panels on. The snap-in nature of the panels was great for accessibility and aesthetics, but not so much for repeatedly dropping the printer it on it's side for transport. Overdid it on the rivet count a bit: An angry badger was enlisted for testing with good results.
Since it was torn down, we got to correct a couple other minor issues as well.
Machined down the center hole of the polycarbonate top panel to match the corresponding AL plate. It was originally spec'd out as slightly smaller for aesthetic reasons. This resulted in the maddening tendency of the filament to get caught on the resulting lip as you tried to load it in the printer.
Since switching to BerdAir part cooling, the additional silicone tube was just dangling. We changed from using heat shrink to a mesh sock on that harness. It was an aesthetic change initially, but the sock also makes the harness flex more evenly which should prolong it's lifespan. It's also stiffer than I would like now, but is not causing any issues yet.
A new print head is still being machined, so no pictures until that is done.
No badgers were harmed in the making of this printer.