Close

Reflector replacement and PETG failure

A project log for Brightenmacher

A biodegradable flashlight, build with recycled laptop batteries that you can repair yourself.

Peter FröhlichPeter Fröhlich 04/10/2017 at 21:440 Comments

After a bit of fiddling around with the prototype and my LED tester i ran few A/B comparisons.

The thought of replacing the lens with a reflector gets more and more appealing.

A lot of light is lost as spill to the sides and the lens can not focus it.

I ran a few rough experiments with a bit of aluminium and press-form tools out of the 3D printer.


Something like this should not be done in one go but i got a few results, even these crappy "reflectors" produce more light output then the lens.

I will have to put more thought into this approach, but it seems like a good idea.

In other news, the tests with PETG have been put on hold for two reasons.

One is, that i have more important things to focus on, the other is this:



Over extrusion, layer separation, blobs, zits, stringing, oozing, you name it.

At least for me it is not the ultimate PLA replacement, at some point i will have to tackle this again but not for now.

Discussions