Close

First Problems!

A project log for Remote Smoke Detector

Playing with ESP8266 to try and detect cigarette smoke

scott.brustscott.brust 04/08/2017 at 20:450 Comments

I thought it would be fun to document some of my mistakes and solutions to them, so lets jump right in with where things stand.

I started with the Arduino Uno just to get up to speed with the platform. After a day or two with that on a breadboard I ordered some Arduino Pros to use in the final product. I arbitrarily picked the 5v versions since thats what I assumed wouldn't matter. The MQ-2 analog sensor is a 5v device, so I figured a 5v micro would work just fine. Everything was fine running off of USB but as soon as I switched to a 3.7v LiPo battery (via the RAW input on the Arduino Pro) I noticed my ADC measurements from the MQ2 were not anywhere as sensitive as when I was running off USB/5v. Well, I assumed the Arduino Pro had a boost circuit that would boost the 3.7v to 5v for the Vcc pin... oops! So my challenge now is to either use a boost circuit (Like one from Adafruit) or to switch to the 3v Arduino Pro and switch to a different sensor. The MQ2 seems pretty flaky anyways so I ordered 2 new smoke detectors from Mouser that are a lot more expensive but run at 3v. One has analog output and the other is i2c based. Ill see which one seems to perform better and update the project then...

Discussions