Lawns are great, but require a lot of maintenance. The most annoying bit is having to mow it every week; and no matter how expensive and big your mower is, in the end, it is a manual process.
But surely it shouldn't be so difficult to automate!
We are attempting to solve the problem with a roomba-like robot that is optimized for mowing rather than hoovering:
- wheel powered
- sensor enabled
- microprocessor to drive autonomous AI
- motor-enabled saw/trimmer
This project is in early-stage phase. At the moment we simply have several ideas and paths for experimentation and prototyping:
1. Use a wireless drill, with a trimmer/saw attached
2. Use a preexisting wireless trimmer, minus de handle
3. Use a preexisting wired trimmer, plus a 12v battery
4. Fabricate a custom sawpiece to replace the inners of a roomba (and keep the rest of the roomba)