Alright. Lot's to cover here so let's dive in.
This printer requires quite a special firmware package. I have been modifying Smoothieware but there are a lot of bells and whistles I had to add. Here is a short list.
- Lazy arm mode switching (when you get to a place where the current arm mode can't go...switch but don't switch back until you are forced to.)
- Machine coordinate moves when rapidly moving. (Say you move from one side of the build platform to the other. The quickest way is to swing the arm in an arc instead of going in a straight line.)
- Codes for setting machine coordinates
- Homing with a common end stop (accelerometer)
- Incremental bed leveling (The bed is 5 times bigger than a normal 3D printer and you can reach most of it in 2 arm modes so the probing required is 10 more than typical. To combat that I have come up with a way to probe as you need where ever you need.)
As of now, all of these items have been prototyped and put into firmware with the exception of the accelerometer probing. I have only done an offline proof of concept of the accelerometer probing but I am convinced it will work. Check out these videos for more details.
It has been a wild quick ride. I will leave firmware for awhile to help let my brain recouperate. I am now on finalizing RepRap HELIOS v0.2. I hope to order parts tomorrow and have it working by the following week.