- 780 million people in the world have no access to drinkable water - that is 1 in every 9 people.
- Each 21 seconds, a child dies due to the ingestion of non-drinkable water. More than chicken pox, malaria and AIDS - combined.
- 3.4 million people die per year due to some illness related to water quality.*
- A full half of hospital beds in the world is taken by patients with illnesses related to the ingestion of non-drinkable water.
*Source: World Health Organization, 2008
- The U.S. produced about 254 million tons of waste by 2013.
- $200 billion a year is spent on solid waste management and lost energy resources from disposing trash*
- Americans throw away 35 billion plastic bottles every year.
- Only about 25% of the plastic produced in the U.S. is recycled.
- If we recycled the other 75% we could save 1 billion gallons of oil and 44 million cubic yards of landfill space annually.
- A plastic bottle of drinking water contains on average 4 cents worth of water. And takes up to 1,000 years to degrade in a landfill.
- The sorting and collecting step is the major challenge of PET post-consumer recycling.
- Each ton of reused plastic would save 685 gallons of oil and 30 cubic yards of landfill space.
- It takes about 272 billion liters of water a year, worldwide, just to make empty plastic bottles.
*Source: LA Times, 2016
- A filter composed of silver ions and mineral charcoal for drinkable water treatment.
- Able to filter 180 liters of water - or the equivalent of 3 months of use.
- Able to fit directly into existing PET bottles.
- Provided with lid and bottleneck adapter, suitable for standard PET bottles.
- Infinitely reusable, with refillable filtering media sachets
- Each EcoFilter® will sequester 6 PET bottles from garbage dumps and landfills.
Benefits to society
- Reduction of the volume of garbage collected, with substantial improvements to the decomposition of organic matter at dumps and landfills.
- Savings in oil consumption: 1 kg of plastic = 1.5 Liter bottles = 1 Liter of oil.
- Carbon credits in the collection and transportation of materials for recycling.
- Reduction of 70% of the energy necessary for the production of new PET bottles, from the selective send off of bottles to recycling plants.
PROPOSED SCOPE FOR PROJECT
- Avoid the addition of 60.000 PET bottles per month from landfills.
- Manufacturing and distribution of 10.000 EcoFilters/month
- Total/year: 120.000 filters / 720.000 reused bottles.