- Most optical fiber module in today communication used from factor called SFP (small form-factor pluggable) physical interfacing. SFP is widely used in many switches, routers and many telecom devices. SFP modules comes with various transceivers option from electrical to optical interfaces such as Ethernet, Giga-bit Ethernet, optical fiber , SONET, STM, etc.
- Although transceivers are different, all SFP modules are controllable with a standard protocol named DDM (Digital Diagnostics Monitoring).
- DDM is The operating and diagnostic information is monitored and reported by a microcontroller inside the transceiver, which is accessed via a 2-wire serial bus (also known as "I2C" or "I2C" protocol).
- I2C bus interfacing is easily done by Arduino
- So, initial idea is to build an Optical Power Meter from scratch by using Arduino and Optical SFP modules + LCD + keypad
Possibility and future potential
- Other type of SFP modules such as Ethernet Electrical, STM, SONET and ATM are easily exchangeable to diagnoses different types of communication interfacing system
- Optical to Arduino direct interfacing is possible via optical SFP modules. Speed Limitation may depend on Arduino processing and peripheral throughput. The ability of simple Arduino to Optical interfacing will be advantages in some cable network and noisy environment like factory automation.
DIY Optical Power Meter Block Diagram