The local club needed another scoring box, and the things cost a fortune. So naturally I thought, "Hey, I can totally build one of those!". And I did, sort of.
First attempt was way too elaborate. it was a whole enclosure with EL panels for the lights. The brain was a teensy 2.0++. It actually worked as intended but it had some flaws. The EL panels were almost impossible to see under the lights in the club. The white panels and the green panels were hard to differentiate under any conditions. Even more annoying was the headache inducing squeal they produced. EL panels are cool, but didn't really work here.
You can see it running a test program here. BONUS: you can here my lady friend playing Tetris in the background.
Wish I had more pictures of it actually doing what it is supposed to, but oh well.
Second attempt cut out the lights entirely and used a computer to display the results. The box was just a teensy and a few banana plugs. It sent info over USB to a windows program running on my laptop. Also worked as intended, but the windows program never reached any respectable level of completeness.
Project is currently stalled for lack of interest on my part (happens a lot), but I will try and clean up the teensy code and post it here for any one who is interested. I took a slightly different approach from the other open source scoring box code that you see floating around the web.