Below is a list of features we plan to implement:
- monitor posting of new articles on hackaday.com
- print weather forecasts automatically in the morning and on demand
- signal new hackaday posts with lighting effects
- signal new hackaday posts with a print of their title on the printer (maybe with QR Code linking to their page?)
- display date and time on integrated display
- display temperature on integrated display
- include a fortune cookie in every print
- simulate flames and other color effects on box sides (and projected on a wall ?).
- synchronize time with web pages
- lasercut enclosure
If the above is not enough for you, if we find a bit more time (which I think we'll have plenty of), we may add additional features. Possible future features include:
- some sort of adventure game with thermal display used for output? maybe multiplayer support
- external control of lights (maybe using a remote controller)
- alarm clock
- configure wifi through the buttons on the box
- print todo entries from calendar (icalendar)
- atheros - me, I'll be posting project logs, working on main code and hardware design
- bwa - my brother in law, he will be in charge of enclosure design, RGB LED code and help in all other hardware releated areas.
The system will contain a number of external periferals:
- OLED graphical display
- Thermal Printer
- RGB LEDs
- Temperature sensor
- Push buttons
WiFi is integrated into Spark Core ARM board. That board will drive all the input and output of this project.
Control Board will contain main logic and applications. Communication between Control Board and Driver Board will be done over serial port.
NOTE: Unless stated otherwise, everything in this project is release under the MIT License.