I got my parts and boards earlier in the week, but hadn't had a chance to build and test them till today. I learned a few valuable lessons, like I learned that you need to tin the ground pad that lies under the coin cell holders, otherwise the battery won't make contact with the pad. I also had the wrong size soic footprint. I was using the skinny 3.9mm footprint when I actually needed the wide 5.3mm package. Oh well, live and learn. I already made the package changes to the latest rev in github. For now all I did was squeeze the pins closer to the ic body so that they would make contact with the footprint.
Here's what the finished board looks like:
and of course hello world seemed appropriate...