Initially when I started on this project I had no prior automotive experience, but I have learned a ton along the way. I swapped the engine in a friends garage when they were on vacation, this worked out great as I could borrow a garage and scare off potential burglars at the same time.
The engine is a bit tricky to find locally, so parts are from second hand markets all over the globe. Some custom made parts were fabricated, such as a 3D printed intake with an air temperature sensor threaded bung.
The car is running an open source engine management system called Speeduino using an Arduino Mega 2560 as the microcontroller. This system is very similar to the well known MegaSquirt, but is a lot cheaper and more fun (complex) to build. Fabbed up some adapter boards so the system is plug and play. Bluetooth is also connected, so the car can transmit sensor data wirelessly for data logging, tuning, changing settings etc using TunerStudio or MSDroid.
Went over all the wiring, cleaned ground points and redid some suspected bad connections. After going over the datalogs and measuring signals with a multimeter, it seems that the wideband lambda controller is at fault and is displaying incorrectly. Unfortunately I don't have time for new components to be shipped to me in time, as I am leaving to study in the US. Car has been put in storage and the project will continue later. The future plan is to replace the O2 controller with a Spartan 2 OEM which is a low cost DIY controller designed to run the Bosch 4.9 lambda sensor, the one I already have.
As seen from the pretty graph above, the o2 sensor is measuring changes with throttle and rpm increases. But the digital display and analog controller output is displaying different signals, even after repeated calibrations.
The car is currently running very uneven and rich. Did some spark testing and I have a strong suspicion the ignition system is not working as it should. When running an engine crank and cam shaft simulator called Ardustim the ECU looks to work as intended. Injection time has been calculated to be 12.7ms using one method and 12.2ms using a different formula, seeing as these are only about 5% apart from each other I cannot be too far off. Earlier in the project I have had issues with the wiring harness, this left me stranded at a gas station once as the starter actuator signal was missing. I believe the wiring was damaged when I removed or inserted the engine and transmission.
Hopefully there aren't too many more wiring issues, but we will see.