Close

New Enclosure!

A project log for Adabox Internet Radio

1-Button Internet Music Box based on ESP8266

Matthew GorrMatthew Gorr 07/02/2017 at 14:180 Comments

No new code in this update, but I installed existing project into a new enclosure. I got the box for free from the IT dept. at my work when they were throwing stuff out. This was the plastic case for a network technician field toolkit. I also added a battery to make it portable! There is still no real "OFF" switch or deep sleep mode, so battery should be disconnected when not in use. I think if I put in some work with a hot glue gun, this thing could be essentially weather-proof. Ready to connect to a cell phone hot spot and stream music at the beach!

I used a dremel to cut holes in the container. I initially made the button hole just slightly too big. So I made a 1" ID washer out of a mason jar lid. To make the washer, I first marked the inner and outer diameters on the lid. I used approx 8/32" drill bit to drill holes ~0.5-cm apart around the circumference of the circle. I then used a hobby knife to slice between the holes. Finally, I used the dremel to clean up the outer diameter a little bit. Once it was installed on the box, I trimmed a little at the top to lessen the likelihood of cutting my fingers on the jagged metal.

I matched a drill bit to the diameter of the USB cable I'm using, and drilled a hole in the seam where the two halves meet to provide an inlet for the power cable. I probably could have made the hole wider; In the second picture it looks like the two halves are still being pushed apart by the cable.


Speaker and button wires were cut to proper length. I do intend to transfer the circuit to a permanent circuit board once I'm done. I'm still deciding on the final control scheme. My original goal was the One-Button interface with short-press to cycle channels and long-press to cycle volume/power. Because of parts on hand, I'm now considering installing a panel-mount potentiometer with built-in switch to control power and volume.

I also basically cloned this project with a raspberry pi and small audio amplifier. I'll write an update about that soon, as well.

Discussions