The first task was to prototype the hardware. For this I used the bread board setup shown below. It's a bit of a mess, but let me get each section working on it's own. I started by using the examples for the Ethernet shield to check the internet connection, then used the RCSwitch library examples to send and receive with the 433 MHz modules. While I was using the the receive example I also captured the codes from the remote control for the sockets. This will let me reuse the codes to control the sockets and detect when the remote has been used instead of the web.
Once the circuit was proven I could finalize it, giving me the following