It's been about 10 months since I last updated this project. I made the first rev and it worked okay. Incidentally, 10 months ago was about the time my daughter was born. So, needless to say I've been busy. Now that life is slowing back down a little, I'm working on rev 2. I've got the hardware changes done and now I'm just down to finishing up the traces.
There are now 2 versions of this board! I've given up trying to make the dual footprint work. At first I thought the mini-DIN was too large for the RF output jack, but on closer inspection, it's about the same diameter minus the plastic shroud. I'm going to push the mini-DIN as close to the panel as I can. I may have to do another revision after this, but I'll order this board and try it out.
More good news! I think I've found a better 3 pole slide switch. I like to use parts that are (relatively) easy to find through first party suppliers like Mouser and Digikey. Part of the difficulty was getting a 3 pole switch that had the same standoff as the old switch, with a long actuator. Dual pole switches, on the other hand, were easier to find with the right dimensions. Just when I had almost given up, I found one. I had actually looked at earlier, but I thought it wouldn't fit. Turns out I was just reading the dimensions on the drawing wrong. The travel length of the switch was messing with me. It's actually fits in the same physical space as the dual pole version. Hooray!
If Bob from @retrorgb is reading this, maybe the "no-cut" version is a possibility after all!
I should have these boards ordered by the end of the week. I expect to get them in about two weeks. Version A will have the mini-DIN connector and version B will have the RCA jack. Once I get the boards tested, I will update the instructions.
- Finish routing traces
- Order rev 2 boards
- Build and test the composite circuit. I'll make a project log about this later. Turns out the composite input on my 10 year old flat screen broke on me. No wonder I couldn't get it to work!