Day 5

A project log for Solar Mirror Array

A proof of concept multipurpose heliostat

wkpsahlwkpsahl 09/19/2017 at 23:470 Comments

I managed to find 2 rear DLP projection TVs with mirrors in the back of them. When running calculations for surface area of the mirrors needed, I came up short, these 2 extra mirrors should help out. Besides there is a bit of a learning curve for cutting glass so I've got some room to make mistakes. The mirrors were removed from their frames and cut into 6" strips that I will later cut into 6"X6" squares. The cutting process is pretty straight forward, just score the glass, support the two sides with boards, place the score line on the tables edge and press downward. The next steps will be to sand the edges of the mirror and then seal them with specifically designed outdoor mirror sealant, then cut a 1/4" hole in the center of each mirror in order to attach it to the ball mounts.