Off the shelf once again.

A project log for Over-powered, Over-priced Electric Longboard

It's another Electric Longboard Project, except harder, more expensive, way too powerful, but just how I want it.

forrest.thelucasforrest.thelucas 09/20/2017 at 03:170 Comments

It's been almost a year since I started this project. After doing quite a bit of research, buying everything, making initial designs, and hooking it all together for the first time, I finally got back to it-- finally. This will be my first post here, but certainly not the first pile of work that's been done on it.

Here's where I'm at. 


This has been a task that I've been sitting on for a while. I finally think I settled on a method of encasement. After multiple prototypes, I think a bent aluminum case with 3d printed sleds and caps will result in the slimmest, most custom mounting solution possible. With the tools at hand, I think this will result in a case with aesthetics that are acceptable with enough room for future upgrade-ability and retrofitting once I realize I've forgotten something. 


I've had motors, ESCs, batteries, BMS modules, and the remote for a while now, but haven't thought about connecting them together until now. I've found motor connectors, sensor plugs, on/off switch, and wire; I have yet to weld the battery together (or find a way to weld the batteries for that matter), finish building Vedder's no spark switch, or purchase a charger for the skateboard. 


I think I've finally settled on a first-draft for the motor mount. Well, metal first-draft that is. I'm on version 9 right now, but this one's ready to get cut. This is when it's nice to work for a start-up: open access to the tormach. I had to put the trucks on 1/2" risers to get the motor low enough, which isn't ideal, but it will have to do for now. Hopefully there won't be any sag in the mount, because it's pretty tight to the board.