Time to inform you of how the project's going.
- Since updating the hardware to the current specs I have focused on the software side of the project. These are the things I've been able to add and fix the last couple of weeks:
- Much better calibration system.
You need to calibrate one sensor at a time but this saves memory for other functions and gets a much better result. Also, you can now calibrate incrementally, so each round of calibration adds to the accuracy in stead of replacing the previous data. You can still wipe and start over, per sensor, if you want.
- Advanced menu.
To accommodate the many additions to the menu system I created an "advanced" option which hides a lot of the internal software settings from casual users. Great if you want to lend CarbOnBal to a friend but don't want to confuse him with a bazillion settings!
- Demos and tests.
I added a "Matrix" style demo and also two bar graph self-tests like the digital meters in vehicles have these days. You can disable them from the advanced menu if you get sick of them.
- Reorganized menus.
Just adding advanced menus was not enough. I replaced some features to put them in a more logical grouping, making it easier to find the right setting in one go.
- Dutch language translation.
For those who'd like CarbOnBal in their own language I came up with a simple translation system. It requires one simple change to globals.h to switch to Dutch. Due to time constraints English will remain the primary language and other translations may lag from time to time. Contact me if you need help with any translation, or would like to add one.
- Settings are now saved immediately.
You no longer require a separate "save settings" action.
- An Arduino-IDE compatible mode.
This is for data transfer to a PC. It means you can now do live graphs from the Arduino IDE without requiring extra software. The original mode is still available in case you need accurate (+/- 1ms) timing data.
- removed lots of little and some nastier bugs.
See the commit log on Github for details.
I don't expect the basic hardware will change anymore, it has been holding up very well and testing has not revealed any problems.
I will probably do some additional power options for those who'd prefer AA batteries or Li-Ion. These will be an optional low-cost add-on which you can do after building the CarbOnBal Basic version if you want.