A project log for Volturnus ROV

A low-cost, DIY ROV (Remotely Operated Vehicle) to detect marine pollution in local communities.

allai5allai5 10/16/2017 at 03:230 Comments

We needed a way to easily adjust the buoyancy of the ROV depending on the density of the body of water that the robot is in. We tried attaching various “ballasts” to the ROV using environmentally friendly duct tape. We started by taping rocks to the robot to weight down different parts of the robot. This proved to be impractical as these rocks couldn’t be easily adjusted in a real life scenario. We then tried to tape styrofoam to the frame, but this was impractical for the same reasons as the rocks. We finally added Arizona Iced Tea bottles which are perfect as they can be filled with water to easily adjust buoyancy at any time.